Within the EU, according to Eurostat data, Romania ranks first in terms of agricultural area cultivated with maize, about 2.5 million ha. The study was conducted in southeastern part of Romania, an area with a share of approximately 19.2% of the total cultivated national area, in Ialomița, Călărași, Brăila, Tulcea and Constanța counties. The main purpose of the research was to evaluate the degree of zinc supply of the soils, and the nutritional status of maize plants with this microelement, for which, soil samples were taken from a depth of 0-20 cm and samples of plant in the phenophase of 4-7 leaves. The methodology for evaluating zinc regime consisted in determining the content of mobile Zn in soil, soluble in CH3COONH4-EDTA solution at pH 7; values calculation of the reaction-mobile phosphates index (RMPI) and the zinc deficiency index (ZnDI), in order to establish probability classes for zinc deficiency occurrence. Results shows that of total analyzed samples (92), depending the content of mobile Zn by probability classes, 43% samples belonged to high probability class, 33% to medium probability class and 24% to low probability class, until improbable. Regarding percentage values of reaction-mobile phosphates index (RMPI), showed a distribution of soil samples, according to the probability class by zinc deficiency occurrence, of 68% for samples with high and very high probability, 22% for low probability and 10% improbable. Finally, the probability of this phenomenon occurrence, assessed by the zinc deficiency index (ZnDI), led to a distribution of percentage values as follows: 54% high and very high probability class, 21% medium probability class, 12% low probability class and 13% improbable class. The results obtained regarding the soils classification in probability classes of Zn deficiency occurrence in maize crop, provides precise information to stakeholders for the implementation of technological solutions to prevent this phenomenon that can cause significant production losses.
- Alloway, B.J. (2008) Zinc in soils and crop nutrition, 2nd ed.; International Zinc Association and International Fertilizer Industry Association: Brussels, Belgium and Paris, France.
- Alloway, B.J. (2009) Soil factors associated with zinc deficiency in crops and humans. Environ Geochem Health, 31, 537–548. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-009-9255-4
- Bergmann, W.; Neubert, P. (1976) Pflanzen diagnose und pflanzenanalyse. Verlag VEB Gustav-Fischer, Jena.
- Borlan, Z.; Hera, Cr.; Dornescu, D.; Lăcătușu, R.; Rands, D.; Armeanu, M.; Nebunelea, Dobrița (1975) Possibilitées de prognose de la carence de zinc chez le maïs. Bull Acad Sci Agric Forest, V, 73-87, Bucharest.
- Borlan, Z.; Hera, Cr.; Dornescu, D.; Lăcătușu, R. (1977) Le pronostic de la carence en zinc chez le maïs. Trans of the Franco-Romain Symposium, 91-114.
- Borlan, Z.; Hera, Cr.; Ghidia, Aurelia; Pasc, Il.; Condei, Gh.; Stoian, L.; Jidav, Eugenia (1982) Tabele și nomograme agrochimice; Ceres: Bucharest, Romania.
- Dornescu, D.; Pleșa, D.; Petrovic, P.; Dorneanu V. (1970) The influence of Zn on maize growing on chernozem in Jijia-Bahlui Depression. An ICCPT Fundulea, B, 38, 231-245.
- Gogoașă, T. (1959) Dosage titration of soil humus. D de S Comit Geol. 42: 251-271 (Published in Romanian).
- Lobell, D.B.; Cassman, K.G.; Field, C.B. (2009) Crop yield gaps: their importance, magnitudes, and causes. Annu Rev Env Resour, 34, 179–204. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.environ.041008.093740
- Lăcătușu, R.; Kovacsovics, Beatrice; Gâţă, G.; Alexandrescu, A. (1987) Utilizarea soluţiei de EDTA-acetat de amoniu la extracţia simultană a zincului, cuprului, manganului şi fierului din sol. Publicaţiile SNRSS nr. 32B, 1-11, Bucharest.
- Lăcătușu, R. (2016) Agrochimie, 3rd ed.; Terra Nostra: Iassy, Romania.
- Lăcătușu, R.; Moraru, I.; Lăcătuşu. A.R.; Lungu, M.; Lazăr, R. (2017) The probability of zinc deficiency occurrence in the maize grown in the south-eastern part of Romania in the agricultural year 2016. 17th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM, 17, 647-654,Albena, Bulgaria. https://doi.org/10.5593/sgem2017/32/S13.084
- Lăcătușu, R.; Mihaela, Lungu; Rizea, Nineta (2017) Chimia globală a solului-Procese, determinări, interpretări, Terra Nostra: Iassy, Romania.
- Lindsay, W.L.; Norwell, W.A. (1978) Development of DTPA Soil Test for Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper. Soil Soc Soci Amer, 42(3), 421-428.
- Nuss, E.T.; Tanumihardjo, S.A. (2010) Maize: a paramount staple crop in the context of global nutrition. Compr Rev Food Sci F, 9, 417–436. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2010.00117.x
- Pleșa, D. (1969) Researches on Zn deficency of maize in Moldova (Romania). An ICCPT Fundulea, B, 35, 525-533 (Published in Romanian).
- Serrago, R.A.; Alzueta, I.; Savin, R.; Slafer, G.A. (2013) Understanding grain yield responses to source–sink ratios during grain filling in wheat and barley under contrasting environments. Field Crop Res, 150, 42–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2013.05.016
- Tillman, D.; Cassman, K.G.; Matson, P.A.; Naylor, R.; Polasky, S. (2002) Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices. Nature, 418, 671–677. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01014
- European Commission, EUROSTAT, Available online: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrowser/view/tag00093/default/table?lang=en (accessed on 17/October/2022).