Sustainable development involves meeting the needs of the current generation without affecting the possibility of future generations to meet their own needs. This implies the correlation of the immediate objectives with the long-term ones at local and global level, considering the economic and environmental aspects in close interdependence. Released around 2010, Big Data is a generic term that refers those data sets whose features make it impossible to process with traditional database tools. Beyond the significant dimensions, Big Data is defined by the so-called set of Big Data Vs: volume, variety, velocity, veracity, volatility and, not least by the value that their analysis adds to the decision-making process. Starting with 2013, the United Nations through the Global Pulse initiative has defined a new concept - Big Data for Development. It aims to find those data sources whose analysis provides valuable information for ensuring the well-being and development of the society. In 2015, the United Nations launched a new agenda that supports 17 sustainable development goals, whose achievement involves integrated actions that will solve social, economic and environmental problems in a way that will reduce disparities. As we are in the middle of the digital revolution, the following question is inevitable: to what extent and in what way can the data collected and analyzed using the latest technologies help to implement policies that will lead to these objectives? This paper aims to provide a qualitative analysis of how Big Data analytics can influence decisions and catalyze the implementation of policies that will result in achieving sustainable development goals.
- Berhan, G., Tadesse, T., Atnafu, S. & Hill, S. (2011), Drought Monitoring in Food-Insecure Areas of Ethiopia by Using Satellite Technologies, Experiences of Climate Change Adaptation in Africa (pp. 183-200, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Danubianu Mirela, Barila Adina (2014), Big Data vs Data Mining for Social Media Analytics, Proc of International Conference on Social Media in Academia - Research and Teaching - SMART 2014.
- Frias-Martinez, V., Virseda-Jerez, J., & Frias-Martinez, E. (2012), On the relation between socio-economic status and physical mobility,Information Technology for Development, 18 (2), 91-106.
- Frias-Martinez, V., & Virseda, J. (2012), On the relationship between socio-economic factors and cell phone usage, Proceedings of the fifth international conference on information and communication technologies and development, March, 2012, (pp. 76-84). ACM.
- Jean, N., Burke, M., Xie, M., Davis, W. M., Lobell, D. B., & Ermon, S. (2016), Combining satellite imagery and machine learning to predict poverty. Science, 353 (6301), 790-794.
Kogan, F., Adamenko, T., & Kulbida, M. (2011), Satellite-based crop production monitoring in Ukraine and regional food security, Use of Satellite and In-Situ Data to Improve Sustainability (pp. 99-104), Springer, Netherlands.
- Paraschiv, A.M., Danubianu, Mirela, (2019),. BIG DATA - Present Opportunities and Challenges. BRAIN. Broad Research in Artificial Intelligence and Neuroscience, 10, pp.15-21.
*** (1987), Brundtland Report, https://www.are.admin.ch/are/en/home/sustainable-development/international-cooperation/2030agenda/un-_-milestones-in-sustainable-development/1987--brundtland-report.html
- *** (2012), Global Pulse – Big Data for Development: Challenges & Opportunities, May, 2012.
- *** (2012), Global Pulse, Big Data for development: A Primer, 2013
- *** (2014), Big data and open data as sustainability tools, A working paper prepared by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- *** (2014), SN-CDI 2020. Strategia Naţională de Cercetare-Inovare 2014-2020 – versiunea tehnică., Ministerul Educaţiei şi Cercetării Ştiinţifice, februarie 2014.
- http://www.cdi2020.ro/wpcontent/uploads/2014/02/STRATEGIA_Versiunea-tehnica_ Februarie-2014.pdf
- *** (2015), SN-ADR: Strategia Naţională privind Agenda Digitală pentru România 2020, Ministerul pentru Societatea Informaţională, București. https://www.google.ro/url?sa=t&rct= j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwitjO2SrqHJAhVFOxoKHXERBcQQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcsi.ro%2FCMSPages%2FGetFile.aspx%3Fnodeguid%3D0617c1d7-182f-44c0-a978-4d8653e2c31d&usg=AFQjCNGvMiD0UUKjm5Jr4Wgj0Hp NUb XUXQ
- *** (2015), Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, United Nations.
- *** (2016), The Classification for Global SDG Indicators, PDF. from http://docplayer. net/27317561-Tier-classification-forglobal-sdg-indicators-21-december-2016.html
- *** (2018), Raportul Eurostat - Dezvoltarea durabilă în Uniunea Europeană - raport de monitorizare privind progresele înregistrate în direcția atingerii obiectivelor de dezvoltare durabilă (ODD) în contextul UE - ediția 2018.
- *** Strategia Națională pentru Dezvoltarea Durabilă a României 2030, ISBN 978-606-748-261-4.